Sunday, August 10, 2014

Reflection for Ninth Sunday after Pentecost

Link to: Matthew 14:22-33

"Take heart, it is I; do not be afraid."
These are the words of comfort that Jesus offers to the frightened disciples as they fearfully watched him approach their storm-tossed boat. He had not been with them during the storm in the night, and then suddenly he appeared, walking across the waves. We are told that the disciples were "terrified," and it is no surprise that they would have felt this way.

There are many times in our world today when we find ourselves afraid like the disciples: tossed about by world events, frustrated that those we love are not with us to care for us, confused, and exhausted. And then, when help does arrive, we do not always believe it, or trust it. The disciples first through Jesus was a ghost as he approached them. Likewise, we often find ourselves doubting those who approach with care, or reasoning away their good intentions. It can be difficult to trust those who we do not know.

But there is one who does love us, who does care for us, whose intentions we need not doubt. Christ comes to us: in community, in family, in friends, and sometimes in strange and unexpected ways. But Christ does comes to us, and we are not alone.

Our hymn of the day this week, the hymn sung right after the sermon, was written by Thomas Dorsey in 1932. He wrote this song shortly after his wife died in childbirth. It is a song of faith and trust, a hymn that recognizes that Christ finds us-- in the storm, in the night, in the darkness-- and leads us safely home.

Thanks be to God.
Amen.


Precious Lord, take my hand,
Lead me on, let me stand,
I am tired, I am weak, I am worn;
Through the storm, through the night,
Lead me on to the light:
Take my hand, precious Lord, lead me home.

When my way grows dear,
Precious Lord, linger near,
When life is almost gone,
Hear my cry, hear my call,
Hold my hand, lest I fall:
Take my hand, precious Lord, lead me home.

When the darkness appears
And the night draws near,
And the day is past and gone,
At the river I stand,
Guide my feet, hold my hand:
Take my hand, precious Lord, lead me home.

No comments:

Post a Comment